What To Wear In Mozambique
To sum it up - casual... anything goes
- Mozambique is fast becoming one of Africa's most popular destinations with its stunning beaches, turquoise sea and much more.
- Our advice would be to travel light, and we mean really light. All you need during the day is shorts and beach wear. For the evenings again keep it light and simple with lightweight natural fabrics.
- Loose clothing will keep you cooler.
- Avoid blue clothing - the tsetse flies are drawn to the colour blue, and their bite can give you African Sleeping Sickness.
- And for guys - shorts, shorts and more shorts.
- Between June and August the evenings can be cooler so pack a wrap, fleece or jumper/pullover, and long trousers.
- The rainy season from December to April is hot, sticky and soggy so take a lightweight waterproof.
- Pack comfortable trainers if you plan on exploring markets or wandering the cobbled streets past stately colonial-era buildings. Take a comfy shoulder bag or day sack to carry your sightseeing essentials.
- If you love to snorkel there is plenty to see here so be sure to pack your snorkel, mask and reef shoes.
- Don’t drink or even brush your teeth in tap water. Consider taking a waterstraw water purifier or safe water drinking bottle.
- Keep bottled water out of the sun as the plastic bottles can release dioxins when they heat up, which is not healthy. An alternative is to use a 100% BPA-free foldable water bottle. Reusing your water bottle will also help you do your bit for the planet - millions of plastic water bottles end up in landfill every year.
- One word of caution: watch your valuables. Do not leave them on view in your room even if the door is locked - use the hotel or lodge safe or better still leave them at home.
- Look after your mobile phone with a phone bunjee - this elasticated strap will secure it to your bag or pocket so you don't need to worry about leaving it anywhere, and it will be less easy to steal.
- If you would like to give something back on your holiday, the local community projects are very grateful for new materials. See the Pack for a Purpose website for ideas of things you could pop in your suitcase.
From Our Shop
Great products to pack for a holiday in Mozambique:
See all shopping recommendations for Mozambique >
Fed up of dropping or losing your phone? You need a bunjee! more >