What To Wear In Indonesia
To sum it up - Modest and cool
- Dress is informal in Indonesia. However, it is a hot and humid climate, so we suggest that lightweight clothes in natural fibres (linen, silk and cotton) will be more comfortable and easier to wash.
- Our advice is to avoid wearing revealing clothes as a mark of respect to the country's predominantly Muslim values.
- Long skirts, trousers and loose blouses with sleeves all work well.
- Conservative rather than bright colours are advisable.
- Despite the heat and humidity, men and women should avoid wearing shorts outside of resort areas. And take care not to offend local sensibilities.
- Wearing bikinis and swimming costumes is fine around the pool at the resort, but not when visiting villages or shopping in town. At such times, we'd recommend you wear a kaftan or sarong at the least. Or, better still, get properly dressed so you fit right in.
- The rainy season is from September to February, when an umbrella is essential.
- If you are planning to visit any of the temples on your trip, you should make sure that your arms and head are covered - carry a scarf or pashmina for this. Men will be expected to wear a sash (however you can normally rent these at the temple).
- If you are there on business, then a suit with tights or stockings will be expected. Men should wear a jacket and tie.
- Don’t drink or even brush your teeth in tap water. Consider taking a waterstraw water purifier or safe water drinking bottle.
- Look after your mobile phone with a phone bunjee - this elasticated strap will secure it to your bag or pocket, so you don't need to worry about dropping it anywhere.
- And to avoid taking separate electrical leads, chargers and adaptors for all your phones and devices, try a solar powered charger - this one gadget will charge most devices anywhere at any time.
- If you are able to visit a local school they are very grateful for new materials. See the Pack for a Purpose project for ideas of what you could donate.
From Our Shop
Great products to pack for a holiday in Indonesia:
See all shopping recommendations for Indonesia >
To purify and filter water instantly for safe drinking more >